Monday 28 May 2018

Beer Review May 2018


I tried four new beers over the Bank Holiday weekend. Here are my thoughts on all four.

Windhoek Lager 4.0% abv
Packaged in a green bottle which always makes light strike susceptible (the dreaded Becks aroma!), I'm glad to say this beer was clean with no evidence of the said off flavour. It was actually a pretty good 4% lager, easily out performing the bigger standard brands of similar abv (you know who your are Mr Fosters etc). The nose was very clean and the flavour quite full and malty with a bit of biscuit and slight hop bitter finish. I would not describe it as crisp as the malt flavours came to the fore, but I'd gladly enjoy another

Really liked the embossing on the rear of the bottle and the label suggested a beer of tradition and quality which the beer backed up. The brewery (Windhoek) is based in Namibia so a first for me to drink a beer from this country, they date back to 1920 and are of German heritage and use traditional ingredients to produce a first class beer. They are now part of the Heineken stable, which means their beers may become more accessible and there will be further importance based on quality and consistency. A good beer, I'd certainly drink again.

Pelforth Blonde 5.8% abv
Having visited northern France a few times (an easy trip living in Plymouth), I can confirm I'm a bit of a fan of some of the French beers of this region and the Pelforth beer did not disappoint. A bit spicy perfume on the nose, the palate was quite delicate with a hint of a Belgium style beer about it. Perhaps a bit peppery with an understated sweetness followed by a dry finish. I liked the beer and would drink again.

The branding is bit fussy and confusing to a non-Frenchman but maybe that's part of the charm, it certainly had shelf standout. The bottle shape too was unusual, the tapered body narrowing to the base is not something we see a lot of in the UK.

The name Pelforth is derived from the word Pelican which was once a popular dance and the Pelican brewery was established in 1914. Production ceased during World War Two but began again in 1950. Pelican was changed to Pelforth over time and it too is now part of the Heineken stable of beers.

Quilmes Beer 4.9% abv
Perhaps my favourite of the beers I tried here, this beer originates from Argentina. It as quite dry which I like and helps with drinkability. Clean, crisp with just the hint of honey and at 4.9% offered enough abv to make it interesting. A good beer and one I would drink again.

The brewer was founded in 1888 from German heritage, it is now established as a huge brewer in its homeland with a market share in excess of 70%. Perhaps that makes it less interesting to some but the beer I tasted was pretty good so I'd be happy to drink again. The branding has a flamboyant touch to it and perhaps not something that's going to help if it wants to crack the UK market. The name too does not flow of the tongue, unlike the beer which clearly did!

Krombacher Low Alcohol Pilsner 0.5% abv
A beer of less than 0.5% abv is not something I reach for that often and my expectations were not high. It was ok, a bit worty both on the aroma and the palate. Reminded me a grain store smell. Quite sweet but not the fullest, it has a hint of lager and lime about it. The brewery, Krombacher brews to the Reinheitsgebot and is a brewer of tradition and quality.

Its difficult to be objective about these beers so one has to put aside the natural desire for an alcoholic beer. In Germany all the bigger brewers will have a low abv offering and they'll be popular beers in their own right. This beer was certainly on a par with some of the beer non-alcoholic beers such as San Miguel 0.0. Perhaps that's as  far as I can go with this one!



No comments:

Post a Comment